- Brown chickpeas-cooked-1/2 cup( see notes)
- Raw plantain / kaya-peeled and cubed-1/2 cup
- Elephant yam /chena-cubed-1/2 cup( see note)
- Kashmiri chili powder-1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut-1/3 cup
- Salt to taste
- Water- as required
- Grated coconut-1/2 cup
- Garlic - 2 small cloves
- Green chilies- 1 or 2 nos( or to taste)
- Cumin powder-1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder-1/4 tsp ( or to taste)
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Dried red chilli- 2 nos
- Curry leaves- few
- Grind together all the ingredients listed under ' to grid ' to form a coarse paste.Keep aside.
- Dry roast 1/3 cup grated coconut over medium flame,stirring continuously until it turns brown.Keep aside.
- In a pan,combine together cubed plantain, elephant yam ,chili powder,turmeric powder and water.Cook until it is tender and water is almost absorbed.Add cooked chickpeas ,prepared coconut paste and salt .Mix well and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.Remove from heat.
- Add the roasted coconut and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,let it splutter.Add red chilies and curry leaves,fry for few seconds and pour it over the curry.
- Serve with rice.
Note: Soak a little more than 1/4 cup of brown chickpeas overnight or for at least 8 hrs.Pressure cook adding salt to taste, until done.
You can completely avoid elephant yam and use 1 cup raw plantain instead,if desired.