Kerala Style Vegetable Stew
Mild an flavorful vegetable stew ,usually served with palappam.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4 people
- Cardamom-3 nos
- Cloves-3 nos
- Cinnamon stick-1 " piece
- Whole black pepper-8 to 10 nos
- Ginger,finely chopped- 1.5 tsp
- Garlic,finely chopped-1.5 tsp
- Green chilies,cut vertically-2 to 3 nos( or according to taste)
- Onion ,sliced-1 large
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Carrot,cubed- 1 medium
- French beans,cut into 1" pieces-5 to 6 nos
- Green peas,frozen or fresh-1/2 cup( see notes)
- Potato,cubed- 1 medium
- Thin coconut milk-1.5 cups
- Thick coconut milk-1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Oil / Ghee-as required
- Salt-to taste
- If you want a thicker gravy,add 1 or 2 tbsp of cashew nut paste along with thick coconut milk.To prepare cashew nut paste soak 6 to 8 cashew nuts in warm water for about 10 minutes and grind to form a smooth paste.
- Adjust the quantity of green chilies according to your taste.
- If you are using dried green peas,soak it in water for about 8 hours.Drain and cook using a pressure cooker until 3/4 th done and then add it to the sauteed onions,along with the rest of the vegetables.