- Basmati rice-2 cups
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder- 1 tsp
- Garlic chopped- 5 cloves
- Ginger chopped-1"piece
- Cinnamon stic- 2nos
- Cloves- 6 nos
- Cardamom-5 nos
- Green chilies(cut lengthwise)- 1 -2 nos
- Coconut milk- 3 cups
- Onion sliced- 2nos
- Cashewnuts- 25 gms
- Raisins-25 gms
- Coriander chopped-handful
- Mint leaves chopped- handful
- Garam masala-1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste.
- Wash rice and soak it for 15 minutes and drain well.Keep aside.
- Heat a pan,add oil/ghee ,fry sliced onion ,cashew nuts and raisins one by one until they turn brown.Keep aside.
- Wash the mutton pieces and drain well.
- In a pressure cooker add the mutton pieces and ingredients 3 to 11( ie turmeric powder,
- chili powder,garlic,ginger,cinnamon,cloves,cardamom,green chilies and coconut milk)
- Add salt to taste and cook for 15 minutes,ie till mutton is 3/4th done.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and rice and fry for 3 to 4 minutes,(you can also use rice cooker ).
- Add mutton pieces and 5 cups of stock/water.(If there isn't enough stock add water instead of stock).
- Cook on low flame.
- When the rice is almost done ,add half of the fried onions,cashew nuts,raisins , 1/2 tsp garam masala,chopped coriander and mint leaves,stir carefully once or twice.
- Cover and cook till done.
- Garnish with remaining fried onions,cashew nuts and raisins.
Recipe source:Dr Lakshmi nair,Magic oven
Sending this to
Kerala kitchen event at Magpies recipes
Iftar moments event hosted by Ayeesha of Taste of pearl city