Spicy fish cutlets/patties with a veggie twist.
- Fish(cut into medium pieces)-10 to 12 pieces(use any firm fish)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Onion - 2 medium
- Green chilies- 2 nos
- Ginger- 1" piece
- Garlic-2 cloves
- Garam masala powder- 1 tsp
- Pepper powder-1/4-1/2 tsp
- Grated carrot and cabbage-1 1/4 cups
- Potato cooked and mashed-2 nos
- Corriander leaves chopped- 1/4 cup(optional)
- Bread crumbs
- Eggs beaten lightly -2 nos
- Salt to taste
- Cook the fish pieces with enough water,1/4 tsp turmeric powder,1/4 tsp chili powder and salt to taste.Allow it to cool, remove the bones and shred it well.Keep aside.
- In a blender add onions,green chilies,ginger and garlic,blend for a few seconds to form a coarse mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan add the onion mixture and saute it turns almost golden brown.
- Now add 1/4 tsp chili powder,1/4 tsp turmeric powder ,1 tsp garam masala powder and pepper powder to taste and saute for a minute over low flame.
- Add grated carrots and cabbage and saute till it is cooked.
- Add the shredded fish and saute till it is dry.
- Add mashed potato,chopped corriander leaves and salt to taste .Mix well.Switch off the stove.Leave the mixture to cool.
- Take small portions and shape it into discs,dip the cutlets in egg and coat with bread crumbs.( if you have extra,you can freeze it for upto 2 to 3 weeks at this stage. Thaw it before cooking.)
- Shallow fry the cutlets,cook on both sides till it turns golden brown.(you can deep fry the cutlets if you wish to do so )
- Serve it as it is with tomato ketchup or just make a sandwich.
If you want to make a burger just cut a burger bun horizontaly into two and toast them lightly in an oven or on a tava.Spread mayonnaise or tomato ketchup(or even coleslaw) on the lower half .Place sliced veggies of your choice(like onion,tomato,cucumber or lettuce.I just stuffed it with lots of greens, as you can see)
Place a cutlet/patty on the top.Spread tomato ketchup or cheese on top and cover with the other half of the bun.