- Milk -1 cup
- Thick cream-2 cups
- Cornflour-2 tbsp
- Sugar-3/4 cup
- Salt- 1 pinch
- Egg yolk- 1 no
- Vanilla essence-2 tsp
For caramel suce
- Sugar- 3 tbsp
- Butter- 1 tbsp
- Milk-1/4 to1/2 cup
- To make caramel sauce,heat a heavy bottomed pan and add sugar and cook till it is completely melted and the colour turns golden brown(swirl the pan in between if required).
- Now add Butter and mix well,reduce the flame to low and pour in the milk and cook till the sauce thickens.Keep aside to cool.
- Beat egg yolk and vanilla essence together and keep aside.
- To prepare ice cream mix together milk,cream,cornflour,sugar and salt until combined.Cook this for 10 to 15 minutes or until it is almost boiling ,over low heat.
- Gradually pour the hot milk and cream mixture on to the egg mixture,whisking as you do so.
- Return the mixture into a saucepan and cook,stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the custard mixture thickens sufficiently to coat the back of the spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to a wide container .Allow it to cool well .
- Cover and place the container in the refrigerator to chill for 30-40 minutes.
- Once it is cold add 3 tsp of caramel sauce and mix well and put it into the freezer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Take the container out ,now it should have just started freezing from the outside edges.
- Using a wooden spatula or a sturdy whisk, beat the mixture well to make it smooth once again.Put it in the freezer.
- Continue to check every 30-40 minutes,stirring well as it freezing.(repeat this process for 3 times)
- After the third mixing cycle,once the mixture is soft add the remaining caramel sauce and fold it in lightly for just two or three times.Put it back into the freezer and keep freezing until it is firm.
Sending this to Joy of fasting to feasting at kitchen flavours
and Iftar nights at Jabeens corner