Homemade Hummus recipe
- Dry chickpeas- 1 cup
- Sesame seeds- 2 tbsp( or use 1 tbsp tahini-see notes)
- Garlic- 3 to 4 cloves
- Cumin powder- 1/4 tsp
- Chili powder/cayenne pepper- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice- 1.5 to 2 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Olive oil- 1/4 cup
- Water- 3/4 to 1 cup( see notes)
- Place dry chickpeas in a bowl and fill it with water.Let them soak for 10 to 12 hours.
- Drain the chickpeas and cook it with enough water .( you can also pressure cook the chickpeas)
- Drain the cooked chickpeas and let it cool completely.Reserve the liquid(broth).
- Add cooked chickpeas,tahini,garlic,cumin,chili powder and lemon juice into a blender.Blend until it is smooth ,adding 1/4 cup water at a time.Add olive oil and salt to taste.Blend again until it turns smooth and creamy.Taste and adjust the seasonings,add more salt or lemon juice,if required.( adjust the quantity of water according to the consistency you require,i added about 1 cup broth)
- Transfer this to a serving bowl.Drizzle more olive oil on top, just before serving.
Serve with pita bread and salad of your choice.
- If you are using sesame seeds instead of tahini ,add it to the blender first and powder it finely before adding the rest of the ingredients,otherwise it will be grainy and you will find it difficult to make it smooth.
- For best results use the liquid( broth) drained from the cooked chickpeas instead of water.