- Dry chickpeas- 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves-chopped- 1/4 Cup
- Parsley-chopped- 1/4 cup
- Green chilies-chopped- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp( or to taste)
- Cumin powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder- 1/4 tsp
- Baking powder- 1/4 tsp
- Onion-chopped- 1/4 cup
- All purpose flour- 1/2 to 1 tbsp( see notes)
- Garlic- 2 cloves
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- for frying
For Tahini sauce
- Tahini-(or use 4 tbsp toasted sesame seeds)- 2 tbsp
- Yogurt-( for vegan option,use cashew yogurt)- 1/4 cup
- Garlic-chopped- 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice- 1/2 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
For Falalfel wraps
- Pita bread- 4 to 5 nos
- Hummus- 1/2 cup
- Cucumber-sliced- as required
- Tomato-sliced- as required
- Salad greens-chopped- as requied
- Pickled chilies- Few
To prepare falafel
- Soak dry chickpeas in plenty of water for about 8 to 12 hours.
- Drain and add it to a blender with the rest of the ingredients listed under 'for falafel'( except oil).Grind to form a coarse paste.( It should not be smooth)
- Shape this into small patties.Refrigerate the patties for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in pan and deep fry the falafels until it turns golden brown,turning once in between.( you can also shallow fry the falafels,if desired.)
Serve with tahini sauce or make falafel wraps with it.
To prepare falafel wraps
- Combine all the ingredients listed under 'for tahini sauce' in a blender and blend to form a smooth paste.
- Spread 2 to 3 tbsp of hummus on the pita bread.Top with cucumber ,tomato and pickled chilies.Then add two to three broken falafels.Drizzle tahini sauce,wrap tightly. Serve immediately.
- You can make about 12 to 14 mini falafels from this quantity.
- If you are finding it difficult to shape the patties,add few tsp of water and pulse again.
- I used rice flour instead of all purpose flour and it tasted fine.